UnPollute

Forward to the Zero Emissions Future

Tips for bikers.  From me.  Comments with more tips are very welcome here or in your blogs or a new discussion... we'll update it as needed!
Since I've featured this as a highlight of the week (or whatever--ha) I'd better update it a little:
TOP ISSUES I spot when I notice other bikers:
1) Helmets!  Adults, kids, few are wearing them!  Also, wear them down on the forehead, just above the eye-brows.  That's the only way to protect the top of your head and face!
2) Flat tires.  Go ahead and pump those puppies up.  With a hand pump, pump basically as hard as you can.  The tire itself should feel basically rock hard, barely a dent possible with your thumb straight down.  Squeezing the sidewalls may feel a little softer.  Floor pumps can get you too much pressure, but pump at least to the middle of the pressure target given by the lowest of either your rim's or your tire's printed limits.  You'll go faster now, with better control, a longer lasting tire, safe from pinch flats, and it'll be easier to pedal!
3) Light clothes.  At least not all black.  Lights and reflectors are great too.  Even a legality
4) Oil. Mostly for the chain.  (WD40 is okay for chain cleaning and lube, but more so for the cleaning.  Avoid getting WD40 in any hubs.  Don't worry about the derailleur jockey hubs, blast 'em!) )  But pedal hubs, front and rear tires and the crank hub all like a few drops of non-solvent based lube. check these hubs for being too tight (don't spin well) or too loose (wiggles side-to-side, has play) and overhaul them if needed, big difference.  Most of your well-adjusted hubs will go for years on just a few drops of oil every couple of months though.
5) Wave, head nod, and/or smile!  I try to.
And now back to the old un-updated post:

Bike lights can pop off or open when biking over bumps, so use some clear tape (or a flexible glue) to give it flexing strength to handle a good jolt. Tape it shut and tape it to the click-in attachment. This also makes them a pain to steal. Clearly, this won't do for those who need to remove all the accessories all the time, but I recommend at least taping stuff like lights shut, just because of how bad it sucks when the battery case breaks open (likely in the dark, there's scary traffic, and the parts flew into the gutter in various places, etc). It's a risk worth mitigating, and the solution is easy...

In a heavy enough rain, you'll be all wet no matter the gear, but those kinds of rides are rare, even for me. It's only been bad once this year and it's been a few years before that since the last buckets-and-hoses rain storm happened right on my commute, right when I was there. I help to keep it rare by looking at the rain scanner (Doppler radar from the News) and trying to dodge the showers by adding or subtracting 20 minutes from the usual time I might leave for work (and coming home too, except that I never get to come home early). It really can help, sometimes. Other times, it'll help you figure out how much extra rain gear to put on, or just forget it and go in a swimsuit, there's been a few rides where I wished I had!

You have your pump and tire patch kit and/or extra tube, right?

Then enough's, enough. Just go bike. "Just do it." No more excuses. (I need my car... why? it that really true, you've never seen or heard of anyone doing what you need it for without one? Think and research about it, then change your actions to match what you've learned, if you can make it work for you. Try it.) Bike to work (Unpollute Your Commute), or maybe drive your bike into work and then bike for lunches and home all week, then drive it home on Friday. That'll get you started! The rest you'll figure out as you go, or ask about or read about. You'll love the easy, stress-relieving fun of cycling, and you'll enjoy the beauty of your nieghborhood, town, or city, including many more birds and wildlife than you'd ever notice from a inside a car.

And my biggest advice, you may have seen me mention it before: stop and pick up debris on your route! Flat causing pieces of metal, like nails, screws, are only OK when they're not in road. Medium and large rocks are good to remove too. Glass and small rocks should just be avoided...

Alrighty, bike on. Peace... and Please Add More Tips to the Comments List here!

Views: 31

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Time, Money, Health Stats and Facts

Time
* Half of all trips made in the U.S. can be done with a 20‐minute bike ride, and a quarter of all trips can be done with a 20‐minute walk.
* The average commuter today spends an extra 39 hours per year on the road due to gridlock.
* By 2025, area residents will spend an additional 50 hours in traffic per year as our population grows.
* Bicyclists are less likely to be affected by traffic congestion because bicycles are more maneuverable than automobiles. Wide lanes, shoulders and bike lanes provide space for bicyclists to ride right past traffic and on to work or home.

Money
* Households that walk and cycle as the primary travel modes save an average of $694 per month.
* If the real taxpayer subsidy of autos were reflected in fuel taxes, a gallon of gasoline might cost as much as $9.00. Other taxes cover the costs of road building, maintenance, parking, police services and losses from accidents, pollution, etc.
* Ten bikes can park in the space taken by a single motor vehicle.
* One mile of a four‐lane highway costs about $50 million. That same amount can pay for an entire network of bicycle and pedestrian facilities for a mid‐sized city

Health
* Autos are the single largest source of U.S. air pollution. Short trips are up to three times more polluting per mile than long trips.
* Over 66% of the adult US population is overweight and 32% of the US is obese, costing our nation $68 billion in health care and personal costs annually.
* A minimum of 30 minutes of moderate physical activity three days a week can reduce incidents of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and hypertension and improve mental health and cardio‐vascular fitness.
* Active employees are more alert, take fewer sick days and are more productive. 80% of the people who switch from sedentary commuting to cycling improve their heart, lungs and blood vessel circulation greatly in 6‐8 weeks, resulting in fewer sick days and absences.
NASA study finds motor vehicles are the leading contributor to global
warming
* A new NASA study examining the climate impacts of 13 economic sectors finds that ground transportation has the largest warming impact worldwide. The study quantifies each sector’s impact by totaling the warming and cooling power of its emissions. Ground transportation is surpassed by three other sectors in its amount of warming emissions; however, its low level.

Info from the attached Drive Less Save More campaign document...
Overcoming Bike Commuting Excuses
1. I’m out of shape
* Ride at an easy pace; in a few months you will be in great shape.
* Ride your route on a weekend to find the easiest way to work.
* You will improve your fitness level when you become a regular bike commuter.
2. It takes too long
* The average commuter travels at 10 mph; the more you ride, the faster you will become.
* Trips of less than three miles will be quicker by bike.
* Trips of five to seven miles in urban areas may take the same time or less as by car.
3. It’s too far
* Try riding to work and taking mass transit home, then alternating the next day.
* Combine riding and mass transit to shorten your commute.
* Ride to a coworker’s house and carpool to work.
4. No bike parking
* Look around for a storage area in your building or office.
* Stash your bike in a covered, secure place such as a closet or even your office.
* Formally request that your employer provide bike parking or lock it up outside.
5. My bike is beat up
* Tell a reputable bike shop that you are commuting and have them tune up your bike.
* If you can’t maintain your bike yourself, identify bike shops near your route.
* Make sure that your bike is reliable and in good working order before you ride.
6. No showers
* Most commuters don’t shower at work; ride at an easy pace to stay cool and dry.
* Ride home at a fast pace if you want a workout; shower when you get there.
* Health clubs offer showers; get a discounted membership for showers only.
7. I have to dress up
* Keep multiple sets of clothing at work; rotate them on days you drive.
* Have work clothes cleaned at nearby laundromats or dry cleaners.
* Pack clothes with you and change at work; try rolling clothes instead of folding.
8. It’s raining
* Fenders for your bike and raingear for your body will keep you dry.
* If you are at work, take transit or carpool to get home; ride home the next day.
* Take transit or drive if you don’t have the gear to ride comfortably in the rain.
9. The roads aren’t safe
* Obey traffic signs, ride on the right, signal turns, and stop at lights.
* Wear bright clothing.
* You are at no greater risk than driving a car.
* Wear a helmet every time you ride.
10. I have to run errands
* Bolt a rack to the back of your bike to add carrying capacity.
* Make sure that you have a lock to secure your bike while you are in a building.
* Allow extra time to get to scheduled appointments and find parking.

Info from the attached Drive Less Save More campaign document...

Catch a free breakfast!!!

Click this link to ShifttoBikes.org Breakfast on the Bridges

Bikers are just too good to each other, huh?   I love being nice to fellow and family bikers,  they're some of my favorite people!!

RSS

Members

Only 2 Steps to Join

1st: Sign Up with your email and set your password. 2nd: Sign In, picking your ID, adding some info if you wish. Then just wait to be approved!  Once approved, enjoy the features of our social network and share your thoughts about environmentalism, clean energy, and our wonderful planet Earth.

Forum

Unpollute

The Unpollute Charter and my Highest Aspiration: to get cleaner air by giving you money to enable nonpolluting modes of transport and sustenance. Carbon offset credits to the people... that's the idea I call Unpollute!

13 discussions

Sustenance and Sustainability

What we eat and how it got to us, how it was grown, prepared, and/or packaged all matter. Sustainable products and industries will resist inflation and make the world and us healthier at the same time...

15 discussions

Zero Emissions Vehicles

Bikes, eBikes, Segways, skate boards, running shoes... Electric: cars, motorcycles, trucks, buses, and even airplanes...

12 discussions

Zero Emissions Power Generation and Storage

Political, Scientific, and Technological advances discussed here. Links to great articles...

21 discussions

Green It Up

We already know that being "Greener" saves money and helps nature, but what green choices make the most impact? Link up your favorite green site or your blog here!

11 discussions

Bicycle Commuting / Cycling / Less Driving

So nice that I consider it a privilege and a luxury, bike commuting sounds challenging, until you just do it... Info to speed you along the learning curve of biking and non-car transport...

17 discussions

Pollution

The solutions start with the reality. The reality is sobering....

8 discussions

© 2024   Created by Emett.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service